Counterpointe Sustainable Real Estate FAQs
The Program is an administrator for PACE programs that utilizes the expertise and resources of Counterpointe Energy Solutions in a focused effort to provide a nationwide funding platform. The Program provides up to 100% financing for energy efficiency, renewable energy and other products for property owners.
The Program financing is repaid through your property tax bill and collected with your regular property taxes as non-ad valorem assessment.
You will see an additional line item on your property tax bill for your scheduled payment.
If you have your taxes escrowed by your mortgage lender, the bank will adjust your monthly payment to include the amount due for the financing.
The Program is available in numerous communities with more coming every day. Use the check eligibility button of the initial application form to see if the Program is available in your area. If the Program is not yet available in your community, you may email our Government Relations Department to learn more. Most commercial property types are eligible including retail, office, hotel and multfamily buildings. If done by property owner, new construction may be considered for financing.
- The Property taxes must be current with no late payments over the past 3 years in Florida and no more than one late payment over the past 3 years in California.
- All mortgage related debt plus the Program financing may not exceed 100% of the value of the property.
- The Property Owner must be current on their mortgage at the time of the application without any delinquencies of more than 30 days in the past 12 months or since the property owner acquired the property, whichever is shorter.
The Property must not be subject to outstanding involuntary liens such mechanics or municipal nuisance liens.
- The Property owner must not have declared bankruptcy in the last 7 years and must not be subject to an active bankruptcy.
Project Costs must be within industry cost guidelines and can include both the cost of the Eligible or Qualifying Products and the installation costs. Products must be permanently affixed to the property.
Installation costs may include, but are not limited to the cost of and fees for energy, water and similar audits, appraisals, labor, designs, drawings, engineering services, building permit fees, surveys, inspections, materials required in connection with the installation of the Eligible Products and technical reviews.
Project Costs also include the cost of pre-paid warranties and service contracts for repairs and maintenance.
Apply via our website to provide contact and basic property information. A representative will contact you with further information about the Program and will answer your questions.
Property Managers or others with multiple properties may email a spreadsheet or list of property addresses for assistance with the application process.
Improvements related to the installation of renewable energy and energy efficiency products. Some jurisdictions include some risk mitigation improvements (flood, wind, seismic)
See the Products page for a listing of eligible products and improvements.
Examples of project types include but are not limited to:
- Energy efficiency equipment, such as HVAC, windows, doors, building envelope, cool roofs, meters, elevators, pools and control systems
- Renewable energy or alternative energy sources, such as solar systems, wind power and storage systems
- Tenant enhancements, such as LEED or WELL certification improvements
- In California, seismic strengthening improvements are eligible as well as water conservation measures, such as irrigation control, artificial turf and low flow fixtures.
- In Florida, wind resistance improvements such as upgrades to roof or installation of impact window, doors and shutters
Counterpointe Sustainable Real Estate works with owner associations (OA) for retrofits involving common areas. There is no cost to the OA and funds are paid directly to the OA for eligible improvements in the common area retrofit. Unit owners may include additional projects to their individual units in the financing. Only PACE eligible improvements, the related work to these improvements and the soft costs may be financed.
Please note that for TIC and other properties with one property tax statement, all unit owners must participate in the Program. Minimum Assessment Amount is $100,000 to $150,000- please contact us for specific information about minimum for these properties. Note that Minimum Assessment Amount is not minimum project amount as design, engineering, permit, inspections, closing and financing costs may be included in the assessment.
For condominium or other properties where each unit owner receives a property tax statement, all unit owners do not need to participate in the Program. Application should be first made through the Owners' Association to determine eligibility of the project and planned improvements. First step is for the Owners' Association to submit planned improvements, estimated costs and estimated cost per unit to the Program. The Program requires a minimum assessment amount for each unit. If the application from the Owners' Association (OA) is accepted, the OA must sign agreement with the Program before individual owners apply for financing.
Once the application from the Owner's Association and the project has received approval from the Program, the individual unit owners may submit applications via www.CounterpointeSRE.com for individual financial approval. Applications for individual owners will not be accepted until the project has been approved by the Program. For each unit owners that wish to participate in the Program, the Program requires an application and financial approval. Once the unit owners have received financial approval, the Program will proceed to closing the Assessments and advance funds to the Owner Association. No funds can be disbursed until the Assessments have been closed, which the Program usually close prior to the start of construction. For condominiums, each unit requires a separate assessment.
Owners' Associations should contact us for more information on this Program.
- The financing is self amortizing ( no balloon payment) with terms that match the useful life of the improvement.
- Fixed interest rates up to 30 years
- Similar to a non ad-valorem tax, the regular payments are collected along with the normal real estate taxes on your tax cycle.
- 100% financing of project, including all soft costs such as permits, inspections and design fees
- Closing costs can be capitalized
- Maturities between 5-30 years up to the estimated useful life of the improvement
- Prepayment is not required upon sale or refinancing of the property
- May qualify for off balance sheet treatment
- Non-ad valorem assessment for tax purposes
The Program is available only for improvements to be made to a property. Therefore, previously completed improvements are not eligible for financing.
New construction may be eligible for the Program if done by property owner and if upgrades improve the energy and water use efficiency of a property. Please call us to discuss your project.
Unlike other construction loans, the Program financing offers 100% of the cost of the improvement including development soft costs, the cost of the product , installations and other approved ancillary costs. The Program offers low fixed interest rates and financing terms up to 30 years. Repayments are made through your property taxes and in case the property is sold, the remaining assessment can be passed to the new property owner.
The Program eligible professionals must meet the following Minimum Requirements:
- Possess all valid licenses, certifications and registrations (federal, state, and local) legally required to make the Qualifying Improvement(s)
- License must be active and not on probationary status
- Maintain the appropriate insurance coverage for work to be performed
- Satisfy workers' compensation requirements
- Satisfy other federal, state and local requirements associated with the Qualifying Improvement(s)
In addition, specialized improvements such as solar installation, flood mitigation or seismic retrofits may require additional certifications, licenses or training.
Professionals who are not required to be licensed may be eligible for the Program. Please submit online application or contact us for further details.
To become an Eligible Registered Professional :
- Apply online. You will be contacted with registration materials and Program requirements.
- Submit signed Registered Professionals Agreement and other required documentation as requested. You will be notified once they are reviewed and approved.
- Once approved, you will receive Program overview with process and procedures
- To maintain eligibility, you must comply with the Program Requirements for Registered Professionals
Registered Professionals are eligible to work on the Program funded projects.
Along with leads and co-branding, another benefit to becoming a benefit with the Program is that your business will be included in lists provided to property owners who request eligible professionals in their area.
You may also work with our Marketing Department to showcase your business to property owners through their web accounts.
Repayments are made through your property taxes and in case the property is sold, the remaining assessment can be passed to the new property owner. The Program offers financing terms up to 30 years for Seismic Retrofits at low fixed interest rates. Please see Seismic Retrofit section of this website for links to information about rent passthrough. Unlike other construction loans, the Program offers 100% of the Seismic retrofit including permits, inspections, engineering plans and other soft costs of construction.
The Program will finance 100% of the seismic retrofit project, not just the structural steel or other hardening measure but all related work for the design. For example, if an electrical panel must be moved in order to properly locate a steel beam, the entire cost of the electrical work and new materials would be covered.
The Seismic Retrofit Program can be used to finance a condo association retrofit. Mixed use buildings or 4 family buildings may also be eligible.
Residential buildings of less than 4 units are PACE eligible, but not eligible for financing for seismic strengthening improvements.
We understand that Sesimic Retrofits require planning, permits and coordination with contractors and tenants. Applications may be placed on hold at any time during the process.
Early application determines eligibility of the property and allows our representatives to answer your questions. The next step is to receive financial approval and then technical approval of the project.
Submission of all the required documents for underwriting allows you to receive financial approval up to a maximum assessment amount. If time elapses between financial approval and closing, you will be required to submit latest version of the documents required for underwriting, such as updated rent rolls and financials. Mortgages may need to reverified at closing. Appraisals are generally accepted for up to 12 months.
Engineering plans require evaluation by a sesimic engineer and your contractor's proposal is to be submitted for PACE approval of costs and products. Unless there are changes to your plans or proposal while your application is on hold, technical approval of your project does not need to be repeated.
Please contact us for more information.
Apply via our website to provide contact and basic property information. A representative will determine the eligibility of your property and then contact you to answer questions and to provide further information about the Program.
Unlike other construction loans, the Program finances up to 100% of the risk mitigation retrofit including development and soft costs, the cost of the product installations and other approved ancillary costs. The Program offers low-fixed interest rates and financing terms up to 30 years for Flood and Wind Mitigation Retrofits. Repayments are made through your property taxes and in case the property is sold, the remaining assessment can be passed to the new property owner.
The Program can provide 100% financing on all types of wind resistance improvements, including, but not limited to:
- Strengthening the roof deck attachment
- Creating a secondary water barrier to prevent water intrusion
- Installing storm shutters
- Reinforcing roof-to-wall connections
- Impact windows and doors
The Program was formed by local governments for local governments with the special purpose to provide long-term financing for structural improvements that encourage renewable generation, energy efficiency and disaster resilience (wind, flood and seismic resiliency upgrades are available in certain areas or pending legislation). The Program is an independent funding source, and any municipality may subscribe by resolution or ordinance to make this financing opportunity available in its community.